Project 1: Submission/Artist Statement

                    

                    



Emotions:

My purpose for completing this project was to illuminate the reality that many people face everyday.
Dissociative Identity Disorder, or Multiple Personality Disorder, is defined as a mental disorder where a person's body and mind play host to at least two different personality states. I had always known that this condition existed, but it wasn't until a few weeks before the semester started that I actually noticed how it can affect people. I found a youtube channel that focused on this topic, as the videos themselves were hosted by different personalities of one person.

As someone who talked to himself from early childhood as a way to process thought and emotion, I really resonated with how people could be affected by this. People would look at me like I was crazy because I didn't match their personal definition of normal. Considering what people who actually have this disorder must go through, it's definitely something that deserves to be talked about. This project is attempting to depict a multitude of emotions being projected upon masks. These masks are blank and void of any emotion, to symbolize a calm exterior while the truth of what someone is feeling is left suppressed.

Comments

Popular Posts